Monday, December 29, 2014

Everyone Needs a Coach


Would you go into the dentists office and try to fill your own cavity? No way. So why would you go into the gym without any experience and throw heavy weights over your head!?

I know this comparison may seem a bit hyperbolic--I'll admit, I made myself chuckle a little bit. Regardless, I believe that the role of a trainer or a coach in the gym is gravely undervalued and underestimated.

Here's an anecdotal story from the other day: I was working out at the local YMCA, where I now teach a few classes. In my peripheral vision, I saw a boy who was maybe in his early teens, tall and lanky, performing some of the worst cleans I'd ever seen in my life. He was wearing a belt (which was probably of little use to him because his back was so hyperextended no amount of assistance would save his spine), and he was jumping forward about 3 inches on each lift. Concerned with his well-being, I politely approached him. I said, "If you started with your hips a little lower and used your legs more, this weight would feel so much lighter!" I then proceeded to demonstrate for him. He nodded his head and immediately unloaded his bar and fled the scene.

My intention was not to be condescending. I was not trying to emasculate him; I merely wanted to help him perform his cleans in a more efficient and safe manner. Needless to say, my feedback was not appreciated.

The thing is, I see these atrocities all of the time. I see people loading more weight onto the bar as they continue to venture deeper and deeper into hyperextension and kyphosis. I see unstable shoulders trying to bench 3 plates on each side, and I cringe as I watch your feet come off of the ground during heavy squats.

I'm not saying these things to sound like a pretentious snob. I try not to be an elitist. I know that once upon a time, I was probably doing all of those aforementioned atrocities. I am shedding light on this issue to educate and inform. This is my job.

Here's me and my friend Kait with our coach! This was after our last meet.
I don't care if you're a seasoned athlete or a newbie: everyone needs a coach. I repeat, everyone needs a coach! Even coaches need coaches. I have a coach, and my fellow coworkers have coaches.

A coach can provide you with unbiased feedback. We see what you're not seeing. We see you from different angles. We are here to provide you with a new exercise you've never tried, correct your technique, and provide our own unique experience. We keep you safe and recommend corrective exercises for your imbalances. We motivate you and pick you back up when you want to quit.

I know a trainer or a coach can be expensive, but it's a worthwhile investment! Are you willing to put yourself in harm's way just to save a few bucks? Would you prefer for your progress to plateau when it can continue to climb?

I strongly recommend, at the very least, starting out with a few training sessions. I don't care if you've been going to the gym for 5 years. Go out and buy yourself some sessions with a trainer--even if it's only once-a-week. Some training sessions are as cheap as $30-$45 for an hour. You're telling me you can't afford an extra $30-$45 a week for your own safety? 

Trust me. Go out and find a coach. Keep yourself injury free and summon someone else to push your limits.

No comments:

Post a Comment