Friday, October 18, 2013

Work Your Weaknesses


Weaknesses--we all have them.  Unfortunately, no one can be an athletic superhero who excels at everything. Everyone has one thing (or multiple things) that gives them knots in their stomachs just thinking about it. For me, it's rowing or running.

Whatever that "thing" may be for you, the worst thing you can possibly do is avoid it. For years in high school, I tried to get out of running the mile because I hated it that much. You know what? I never became a better runner, until now. I do not proclaim to be on the same level as an Olympic sprinter, but I'm certainly miles better (no pun intended) than I was in high school. Now I force myself to do maximum effort sprints at least 1-2 times a week. Yes, there are many times I want to keel over in the midst of it, but I don't--I just suck up my pride and get it done.

There was a very long period of time when I was unable to do double unders (two revolutions of the jump rope for every one jump). Everyday, I practiced and came out of the gym with bruises and whip marks all alone my arms and legs. I may have looked ridiculous, but guess what? Despite all of my welts, I kept on trying. Today, I can finally perform multiple consecutive double unders with relative ease, and I will only continue to progress.

My point is this: in order to truly see progress, you have to force yourself to do what inspires terror within you. If you've never been able to do a pull-up in your life, practice pull-ups every damn day until you get one. Start with a band and focus on the lowering phase. Do whatever it takes to make your weaknesses into your strengths. No change comes without dedication and practice.

I leave you with this wonderful quote from Robert Louis Stevenson:

"You cannot run away from weakness; you must some time fight it out or perish; and if that be so, why not now, and where you stand?"

No comments:

Post a Comment